Since last summer, I’ve sold our old dining room table, the bookcase which was in the hall, the oak stand which was in the entry and one of two Hoosier cabinets. Still to sell: a double dresser, a marble/wrought iron table, at least one coffee table.
I acquired on a sale rack at a home center not too long ago two jars of paint in “modern finish” (high gloss) in black and white. I also got a high gloss liquid wax which does the same thing, but it’s clear. This morning I cleaned the black strap steel shelves in the hall then lightly coated them with some of the black paint to spiff them up. I didn’t “paint’ them, I used the paint as a “buff.” Worked. It was what I had in mind when I acquired the paint. Black metal looks dingy after a while and cleaning it doesn’t get it looking as good as I’d like. In the process, a lot of things were put in the car to go to the antique store.
Yesterday I started cleaning out the shed; we both worked on it in the evening. There’s a lot less stuff in there (much of it is in the car for the booth) and we generated 2 bags of trash. If the roof project was finished, we would have set up the bagster we got a while back. That will happen soon.
There is still the storage IN the shed: all the items on the 2 platforms (it’s like a bunk bed) and two shelf units. When we get those cleaned out/cleared/modded and then the stuff we’re keeping stored the way we have planned, the shed will be much more efficient and easier to use!
Posted in cleaning, cleaning up, Culling, dehoarding, Digging Out from Under, future plans, Getting Organized, Making Home, minimalism, outside chores, projects, Storage
Tagged culling stuff, shed clean out, shed reorganization
They’re putting the new rafters in place. I’m cleaning out the shed.
There are a few obvious “go to the dump” pieces: a broken-down particle board bookcase I bought when I had the store. The ones which were put together were disposed of long, long ago. This pile of boards has been in the shed since something like 2001! It’s going today.
When we bought the house, the kitchen lights were fluorescents with a plastic grid hiding them. One of those grids (or more?) are in the shed too. I don’t know how long the grid has been in the shed, but we’ve had the house > 20 years now, so the thing has been in our space at least that long. It could have been an extra stored in the shed when we bought the place, or it could have been moved there when we replaced the lights. I don’t know — and I don’t care. It’s going away.
About 5 (?) years ago, at auction, we bought 2 single-pane sidelights. We have the better of the two installed in the new kitchen wall. (Partially replacing the two windows we removed from there last summer.) I had the idea we might use the 2nd sidelight on the shed itself, but this morning DH said to get rid of it, so it’s going!
At one point the contractor asked if we had any 8 penny nails? I didn’t know, but there was a peanut butter jar with a few huge (he said they were 10 penny nails) in it and I gave it to him. Told him NOT to return the jar or any he didn’t use. One more item gone!
I need to get back to the shed clean out so I can actually FINISH today, preferably this morning. (I’d like to go to the antique store this afternoon and maybe run a few errands too!)
Mundane, necessary, and productive: my day so far. Not too bad!
I won’t get this done this morning. For one thing, it’s noon. For another, the dump doesn’t open ’til 1:00!
Posted in cleaning, cleaning up, Culling, dehoarding, Digging Out from Under, Getting Organized, Making Home, organization, projects, Storage, stuff
Tagged culling hardware and other "outdoor" items, shed clean out, storage