I’ll explain the unexpected flurries first. DH over the weekend bought a bin to house our paint sprayer, which has been in its original cardboard box inside a laundry basket, and stashed in the wood shed. It needed to be put into the attic and it needed a better container for all its bits. So we bought one Sunday.
Sunday night here we had a huge storm. Bad enough we had no power or internet when we woke and there were branches and pine cones and asst. stuff all over our yard when we got up. It seemed pretty obvious we’d be without power for some time, so DH took the day off to haul wood or water, help clear the yard, etc, In between other chores, he decided he’d pull out the paint sprayer. He took the box out of the basket and brought it inside and started pulling the pieces out.
Then he yelled my name, loudly! I came pelting down the stairs to find out what was wrong? There had been a mouse in the box. It was now loose in our kitchen. Ack!
He took the remaining packaging outside, no more mice. He pulled a loose piece out of the basket and there were suddenly mice, a pack of them, everywhere all over the deck and scurrying away from the nasty human who’d upset their home. The bad news? We have a mouse in the house (we have 2 cats), not great, but it will be dealt with either by the traps we set out or one of the cats will get it. The good news? The other mice didn’t get in!
After we went and got water (didn’t have what we needed, remember my backlogged goal?) we also got mousetraps. Set the traps, stored the water and went off to go stock the booth and get some organizational bits for the workshop.
As we were driving down the state road which leads to the next town en route to the college town where my booth is, I noticed a movement to my left. Fortunately, DH did more than notice, he swerved! The large pine tree which I’d noticed moving FELL all the way across both lanes (we were in the right one) and DH missed it by pulling the car onto the verge. There was a sort of whoosh followed by *crack!* as the tree hit the ground and a kind of cloud of pine needles. (The 2nd flurry of the day!)
We turned around and started pulling the tree out of the road. The fellow behind us stopped. The two cars coming the other direction stopped and between us the tree’s pieces were removed from the roadway. Instant community!
After that? No more flurries, of mice or pine needles, but that was plenty!
Okay. Today’s 6:
- Stitch together the two smaller rugs you’re using as a runner, so that it IS a runner.
- Get the measurements so DH can cut the plywood for the fan storage.
- Get the coffee ad framed.
- Get the rest of the burlap and stick it down onto the hill for erosion control.
- Clean part of the upstairs that hasn’t been touched in some time.
- Double check the emergency supplies. (fill in)
- Put away the canning supplies if not in use.
- Remount the last yardstick.
- Find a new home for the basket which holds the “cat towels.” (Old towels used for whatever is needed: car washing, spill clean up, whatever!)
- Pick up the yard, put more items away for winter.
- Put up the 3 missing hurricane clips
Replace the saved emergency water supply. (I deliberately used the old water supply this summer.)Mon. 1:00 p.m.
- Put the tile in the basement. (I recently acquired a LOT of mosaic tiles.)
- Get the ladders put away for the season.
- Get the supplies for the knitted pillow all in one place so you can finish it!
- Get the rest of the better paint into the attic.
- Clean the office chairs.
- Find a place to put away the dehydrator racks and do so when appropriate.
- Use up the ice cream base in the freezer.
- Put garden hoses away for winter.
- Recaulk the bathroom as needed.
- Figure out a new way/place to store the yarn and put it away.
- Look at the stored snow tires. Need new ones? In the budget?
- Examine winter coats for flaws, etc.
Chores on hold or in process, for whatever reason:
Make up/try the Naval Academy brass polish. Deferred because I have THREE containers of general metal polish. I want to use up at least one of those before I make up more. I sure don’t need 4!!!
Go thru the record collection, cull. First part done. Moving to in-process 10/27
Wash the net curtains. First pair pulled from over the dry stores 4:30. Washed Tues. 10/24 a.m.
One pair to go. Two pairs to go.
Use up the eggplant from last week. Used the first one for Sunday’s dinner. 2nd one used Fri. lunch. (2 to go!)
Fertilize the lawn. Did the dooryard lawn and the lawn on the street side of the bulb bed. Tues. 4:30 p.m. Lots more to do!
Cull books from one “holding pattern” bookcases. Either they’re out or they stay!, in process Thurs. a.m. (I did the 1st shelf.)
Put family photos in the album. Can’t be done. Photos located, album missing!
Clean off DH’s desk. This is going to be delayed until he and I catch up. I pulled everything from the top drawer on his side of the dresser, we’re still going through all of that.