Today I Tackled

two things: a closet shelf and the laundry room.

I had emptied the two packed laundry baskets from the day before. I am trying to make sure that tools especially, have a place to be “put away” these days instead of just moving them around.

We have a double closet and a wardrobe. I wanted to put away the empty laundry baskets in the bottom of the wardrobe. To do that, I had to move the two baskets of sports clothing already there. To do THAT, I had to pull everything off the closet’s shelf and rearrange it.

Then I tackled the laundry room. I pulled everything out except the washer and dryer. The hyper large peg rack got removed. (It was sold in July.) The wall got spackled. Everything got pulled off the shelves over the washer/dryer. Some culling happened (still needs more — of course).

Last time I did this I gave away a bunch of cleaning products, about 6 months to a year ago. I have things I’m trying to use up instead of giving them away, like washing soda and borax, which I used when making our own laundry soap. I have a container, I have all the ingredients, so I guess I’ll make another batch of soap — whether we use it right now, or not. I’ve been using soaps I buy in bulk.

I like the convenience of not having to remember to buy it all the time, I like knowing I’m using less packaging and fuel. I like the fact that I don’t have to worry if the market has discontinued carrying my “brand” of soap, again. (What got me into buying it in bulk to begin with.)

For a while, we bought from the maker. Then they changed so that they stopped selling scent free stuff. I changed the soap I used.  I have tried other soaps and found a bulk, unscented liquid that our co-0p sells which works. I have a bottle I fill, once a month, at the co-op. It fills the bottle on my washer. I’m doing the same sort of thing for dish soap, olive oil, peppermint soap. My last bar soap purchase was from a friend/artisan, who made up a 2lb block of unscented, nothing fancy soap, just for me.

So the laundry room is clean, culled and has been slightly rearranged. I have an idea about using something else to replace the peg rack we took down. But that’s another post. As usual, the thing I saw that I fell in love with it too expensive > $100. Not going to happen in this household. We’ll make our own first!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s