I was a used bookseller for 20 or so years. I have various “tips” I will add below which will help you get more money for used books, buy books cheaper, clean books, etc. I assume that most people who work in any profession have these types of tips.
Mine, for getting selling books for more, will be added below. I did another post Hints & Tips: Buying Books, where you’ll find the tips for buying books for less.
[My life is still a construction zone!] Feel free to add your tips below.
Selling books for more money:
- Put them in a clean box.
- Clean them off with a clean soft paint brush or soft cloth.
- Make sure there’s no bugs, anything sharp or alive in with them.
- DON’T take them to the bookstore in a trash bag or crumbling paper carton.
- Do some research. If the book store you’re taking your romances to sells only classics or religion, you’ve wasted your time & theirs. If they only have 1 shelf of the type of books you’ve got in the entire store, they either can’t find them (good!) or they don’t want that type of book.
- Ask, politely: if they’re buying books like yours. . .if they give trade credit. Do they pay more in credit? If they do, ask if you can buy books just with credit? (Probably not these days.)